We are delighted to launch our Youth Pathway for 2021. This pathway is being introduced to ensure that youth members of all abilities have the opportunity to further their skills and enhance their enjoyment of sailing and boating, ultimately gaining a varied set of skills and friendships for life. This pathway compliments our existing entry points into sailing in the club across dinghies and keelboats. From age 7 to 25, total novice to Olympic ambition, male or female, we aim to provide something for everyone and ensure nobody slips through the cracks.
The Two Most Important Questions For New Joiners-
Do I have to be a member? Not right away, in time yes but people are more than welcome to come along and try it out before committing.
Do I have to own a boat? No. We have a fleet of club boats for hire to ensure people can get up and running, complete courses and be sure they want to commit before buying a boat.
We appreciate sailing can be confusing and coming into a club can be daunting, we want to make that easy. We recommend anyone with any hesitancy or uncertainty should contact our Junior Organiser, Saki Curtin (086-2602306) or Rear Admiral Dinghies, Annamarie Fegan (087-2597431).
Our Youth Pathway Channels For 2021
A number of structured courses and programmes take place during the warmer months for sailors of all abilities from the ages of 7 upwards. These include-
- Try Sailing: Ages 7 to 16 – Monday evenings in June, free for members and €100 for non-members(refundable if you join later in the year) *Registration Now Closed*
- Cadet Club: 12 & Under – Monday Evenings From July To September (Details to follow)
- Sailing Course 1: 8 & Over – 2 Weeks From July 5th To 16th (Follows Irish Sailing Syllabus) Members only, new members are welcome *Registration Now Closed*
- Sailing Course 2: 8 & Over – 2 Weeks From August 2nd To 13th (Follows Irish Sailing Syllabus) Members only, new members are welcome *Registration Now Closed*
For courses that are closed but you are interested in, please contact Miriam McMahon in the club office as there may still be possibilities of slots opening up. Alternatively, for other Youth Pathway related quereis, feel free to contact our Junior Organiser, Saki Curtin (086-2602306). The schedule above is COVID dependent.
Junior Sailing Academy
Established as a pilot programme in 2019, the ‘JSA’ provides an enjoyable entry point into or back into sailing for 12 – 16 year old secondary school going sailors. Activities include-
- Supervised (by club coaches) fun sailing with learning embedded
- Exposure to various club boats from kayaks to 1720s with the emphasis on simply getting afloat
- Beach trips encompassing passage planning, weather & tide analysis etc.
- Overnight camping trips
The programme is a feeder back into the various fleets in the club from oppies through to keelboats. Registration for the modules has now closed but that doesn’t mean it’s too late. Please contact the office or one of the JSA leads for 2021, Brian Twomey (087-1302327) and Jennifer Grey (087-2724272).
Skills For Life
This programme will provide youth sailors of all ages up to 25 with fundamental skills of sailing and boating. The programme comprises of 7 core modules with further details in each of the links below. Sailors can do one or all of these modules and they are designed to compliment existing sailing that sailors are partaking in.
- Introduction To Navigation & Weather
- Appreciation Of Offshore Sailing
- Experience Of Roles On A Keelboat
- Team Racing
- Boat Repairs & Maintenance – The Basics
- TY Instructor Courses
- Skilling Up For Race Management Duties
Given the array of modules on offer, it is not envisaged that a sailor take on all modules in one year; we recommend a pick n mix approach over of a number of years. Again, registration is closed but please contact the office or email@example.com
Our year-round racing and coaching pathways are well established. This is the channel where sailing becomes that bit more competitive. Current established fleets are Optimists, Toppers, Lasers, 29ers, National 18s and Keelboats. We hope to redevelop our double handed dinghies like RS200s in the coming years. For more information, please contact the class captains, no need to register above unless partaking in other pathway channels.
Still Not Sure?
This pathway map aims to provide clarity and points of reference and contact for all aspects of activity within the club pathway.