Eddie Rice has been appointed Head of Sailing Development, a full time role in the Royal Cork Yacht Club.
Eddie has been a long time club member, competing and winning in the Laser, National 18 and Keelboat fleets and currently serves on the Irish Laser Association committee.
Eddie brings a refreshing and realistic approach to sailing, always stressing the importance of enjoyment above anything else. Eddie admits to having refound the joys of sailing in recent years through the Laser Masters circuit and in his new role, is particularly passionate about retaining the 15 – 30 year old sailor, a challenge all clubs face but one which is so critical to the future of the club and sailing in Ireland, Eddie believes it will need creative thinking and practical solutions.
In his role, Eddie will work with club General Manager Gavin Deane, fellow club staff and the club Committees on the following areas;
- Planning and orchestrating class coaching, including that of the Under25 keelboat program and the Adult Sailing Programme
- Providing the schedule and programming for junior classes to include: training programs, target events and guidance on advancement from class to class for junior sailors with delivery of class racing in season
- Assisting youth sailors in identifying an appropriate class for their sailing desire and assist sailors’ transition through the classes and identify suitable next moves at an early stage
- Continuing development of the following programs:
Team Racing, Under 25 Keelboat Racing, Junior Sailing Academy, multi-handed dinghy sailing
- Providing and delivering a structure for developing Club coaches so we achieve a best-in-class approach with our home-grown coaches. Welcome and support guest coaches in their requirements at clinics
- Assisting the Junior Organiser with the recruitment of instructors for the sailing courses and the sailing course rollout with the Senior Instructor appointed
- In conjunction with the Club officials, managing the Club fleet of sailing dinghies and keelboats, ensuring they are maintained to an appropriate standard
- Developing the process for members to access these boats be it through rental or programme usage
Eddie’s role and responsibilities will adapt over time with the changing needs of the club and sailors.
Contact Eddie on email@example.com