The first big event of our Tricentenary saw members of all ages partake in the Admiral’s Chace on Saturday 4th July.
The Chace began in the vicinity of Cork Beg when shortly after 3pm, the Admiral fired a signal shot from each quarter of Adrielle, the Cork300 House Flag was broken out and more than 25 craft weighed anchor in pursuit of the Admiral towards Cage.
Richard Leonard’s Bandit was first to hoist full sail and despite the ever stiffening breeze, carried it to the first mark.
Another signal by cannon and flag followed, directing the fleet to leave Cage to starboard. Whether sailing, motoring or a combination of both it didn’t matter as this was very much a relaxed affair with the intention of getting everyone out on the water whilst referencing some of the Club’s wonderful three hundred year old rules, history and tradition.
The fleet crossed the harbour towards Cuskinny and whilst there was a short period whereby the fleet paraded between No. 9 and No. 13 to make way for the ‘Pont Aven’, all proceeded up Cobh roads, turned at No 20 under the shadow of the Spire of Cobh Cathedral and within shouting distance of many former club houses of the Royal Cork from the early 1800’s to 1966.
Some took the opportunity to shorten the trip home by taking advantage of the incoming spring tide and cut across the back channel behind Spike Island, with the remaining fleet heading back around the Spit Light House and back to Crosshaven.
Adrielle then took up station on the river at C3 in order that the Admiral could thank everyone for participating as they returned to the Club.
A particular thank you to Bob Bateman who along with Mary ensured the event was suitably recorded for the history books in his photos here