1. Log in to the www.rcyc.ie website to access the dashboard
2. The first step is to upload the image that is to appear in the homepage side panel (or alternative side panel)
3. NOTE: Images in the side panel must be sized to 300 pixels wide by 200 pixels high. You must size the image BEFORE you upload it to the website. See the images that are in the side panel at present and try to follow a similar style. Solid blocks of colour with text or logos overlaid tend to work better than white images or photographs in this area.
Editing an Existing Homepage Side Panel
1. From the website dashboard click “Pages” and then scroll down and find the “Home” page. Click to edit this page.
2. The screen will present you with a layout of blocks. Each block is associated with a block of content on the homepage. The side panels are listed down the right hand side.
3. NOTE: Be cautious with edits here as incorrect use can damage the design/function of the homepage. If there are any problems re size of images, presentation of images etc. please consult with us.
4. Hover over the relevant box and click “Edit” to edit that particular panel.
5. You will now see a visual editor with an image in it. You can click on the image and select “Add Media” if you wish to upload your new image over it. (If you do not see the visual representation make sure to toggle to “Visual” from the right hand corner of the editor)
6. Always make sure your image is centered and change the link on the image to direct to the page you wish the users to go to once the image is clicked.
7. Once you are happy with the new image click “Done” and then click “Update” and the side panel will update.
Adding a New Side Panel
1. This is similar to above but involves creating a new blank widget.
2. From the website dashboard click “Pages” and then scroll down and find the “Home” page. Click to edit this page.
3. From the ‘Home” page select “Add Widget” and then select “SiteOrigin Editor”. This will create a new blank widget. These widgets can be dragged and dropped into the correct position. When you click to edit them, they will be blank so simply upload your new 300 X 200 image, centre it and add your link.
Editing Side Panels Not on Homepage
1. You must have your image ready first. All images in side panels must be 300 X 200 pixels. If you have an image ready then it is time to upload it. From the dashboard select “Media” and “Add New”. Then click “Select Files” and locate the image from your computer and upload it.
2. When the image has been uploaded click to “Edit” the uploaded image. This will open a new window that lists the “File URL” in the top right hand side of the screen. Highlight the URL and copy it. It will look something like this: http://www.jamjosandbox.com/royalcork/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/test-upload.jpg
3. Now that you have the File URL copied it is time to paste this URL into the relevant side panel.
4. From the website dashboard go to “Appearance” then “Widgets”. On the right hand side of the screen you will see a list of widgets used on the website. Each widget is associated with various areas and side panels across the website.
5. Select a widget to edit by clicking on the tiny arrow beside the title. This will drop down a list of all associated areas in this widget. You can edit these further by clicking in again and clicking save when you have made your edits to commit the changes.
6. We must add a new area in the widget in order to add the image we just uploaded. To do this you must drag and drop the “Text” option from the list of options on the left hand side of the screen (you might have to scroll down the page to see “Text”)
7. Drag and drop the “Text” option into the relevant widget to create a new widget space where we can paste in our image URL. If you have dragged in the “Text” option it will show a blank space for a title and body text. Give it a title (watch word count!). In the body area we must first copy in a piece of code that allows the image to display and a link to be applied to the image.
8. The code looks like this:
9. Copy and paste in the above piece of code and replace LINK with the page link you wish the user to go to once they click on your image, and replace IMAGE with the File URL you copied from your uploaded image earlier.
10. Once you are happy, click “Save” and make sure to refresh your browser window to see the changes take place on the front end.
• Side panel images must be sized before upload to 300 X 200 pixels
• Homepage widgets are edited from the “Home” page under “Pages”
• All other side panel areas are edited by selecting “Appearance” and “Widgets” from the dashboard
• NOTE: Be cautious with edits here as incorrect use can damage the design/function of the homepage. If there are any problems re size of images, presentation of images etc. please consult with us
• Remember when using the editor in WordPress, always make sure to toggle to “Visual” from the right hand corner of the editor